Saturday, March 7, 2009

2 Samuel 7: Learning from a True Man of Prayer

Of the many things I could write about in this passage (David not being allowed to build the temple, God’s eternal covenant with David, the role of a Prophet, etc.), the one thing that struck me most in today’s reading was the fact that: David really knows how to PRAY.

Reading through David’s prayer in verses 18-29, we can easily see why he is called a “man after God’s own heart” (1 Sam 13:13, Acts 13:22). As the author of about half the Psalms, most of which were prayers, there are a multitude of examples of the deep, heartfelt prayer life of David. This passage is a wonderful example of how a true “prayer warrior” prays. As I read David’s prayer, I begin to contrast it with my own prayers, which seem petty, empty and hollow by comparison. Actually, to be totally truthful; I am a very poor prayer. There! I’ve admitted it, acknowledged it to the world. Give me a Bible and tell me to study and explain the Word, my eyes light up, and I could happily spend hours. But tell me I have to pray, and watch me struggle after 5 minutes. My prayers are short, concise and usually quite matter of fact. Oh sure, I know the ACTS acronym, (Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving and Supplication), but I can fly through them like a Lamborghini in 6th gear.

However, as I read this Prayer, the Holy Spirit stopped me in my tracks and made me reflect on a place in my walk where I really need to grow. Here are a few of my personal observations.


  1. David truly acknowledges God’s Majesty – Seven times, David refers to God as “O Sovereign LORD” (Adonai YHWH). Essentially this phrase recognizes YHWH as Lord, King and Master of everything. Quite a statement coming from the king. But these weren’t mere words to David. The entire context of the prayer praises God for who he truly is and what he has done for both David and the nation of Israel. In contrast, my prayers focus far more on myself. Oh sure, I can open up my prayer with a few flowery phrases, but usually I move quickly to the “meat” of my prayers - what I want. Now that I think about it, about three quarters of the Lord’s Prayer is focused on God, while only about one fourth on the person praying.
  2. David humbly acknowledges his unworthiness – No less than 10 times, David refers to himself as “your servant”. Everything he prays exudes an attitude of humility, and meekness. By comparison, my prayers probably resemble an 8 year old reeling off a Christmas list of things that I want from God. In reality, He already knows what I want, but I couldn’t really say the reverse is true. Maybe I should spend more of my prayer time humbly asking God what he wants from me, rather than the other way around.
  3. David prays God’s promises - David earnestly prays for God to follow through on his word. “Do what you have promised" v. 25, "Hear Your promise" v. 27, “You alone are able to fulfill Your promise" v. 28-29. In my own life, I find that I need to rely more on God’s promises. Sure, I know them, I study them, I tell others about them, but do I really live as if they were completely 100% TRUE. Sadly, there are vast areas for improvement. Maybe, just maybe if I start praying differently, reminding God, and reminding myself of those promises, then I will be changed in a way far beyond my imagination.

There is much more we could glean from this prayer, but I think I have enough to work on and keep me humble. One final note, he prays this immediately after God just told David “no” to something building the temple. Oh that I could pray such a prayer, both in joy and disappointment.

Posted by Michael Adkins

No comments: