Thursday, March 12, 2009

2 Samuel 12: Consequences

“You are the man!”
This was the prophet’s indictment of King David—the one who was so incensed by Nathan’s parable of the avaricious rich man. Yet David himself had been the thief in the allegory, for he had stolen Uriah’s wife. Thus all the anger that David mustered against the fictional protagonist fell back upon his own head.

Sometimes sin can bring us so low that we stop recognizing our own corrupt nature despite horrific manifestations. Even after we have put on the “new man” that Paul describes, we must still battle against the desires of the flesh. David had fallen to that state of self-deception, for he could not even see the wickedness of his ways when it was told to him in the simplest of tales. God was nevertheless gracious and brought the stinging word of rebuke from the prophet—the only thing that would get the king’s attention and break his trance of self-pleasuring sin. How wonderful that God loves his children so much that he will not allow us to languish in our own sin, but restores us!

And yet restoration is often not without consequence. David’s son died within a week of birth. The tragedy of the child’s death was compounded by David’s knowledge that he had caused Uriah’s death. David, like Jesus, prayed that punishment for sin would be taken from him, and yet the Lord did not relent. The child died. But with such death came a period of refreshment for David, because (we must somewhat read between the lines here) he had done everything he could, offered every prayer, fasting and act of self-denial he could, to protect the child’s life. Yet still the Lord had chosen to take it. David’s profound feats of devotion would clear his conscience not of the sin that had led to his judgment, but of any doubt that his repentance was not genuine.

Is there perhaps a double meaning in verse 23? David says of his child, “But now he is dead; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.” In the broadest of senses, David states the obvious: the line between life and death can be crossed going forward but not going backward. But perhaps the meaning is more nuanced. Perhaps David is declaring a special knowledge that God gave to him that his child was in God’s care, enjoying the eternal bliss of divine love. And if so, what a comfort to parents bereft of their children at a young age that they are safely in God’s bosom. It certainly appears that God’s love for Solomon was made known at a young age (vv. 24-25). Perhaps David was similarly informed concerning his dead son.

Blessings would still come upon David’s house, for so the Lord had sworn. But tragedy and scandal would also encroach. So is our life in Christ. Our eternal blessing and position in Him is secure, although we must sometimes pay earthly penalties for our sins in this life.

2 comments:

RICK said...

Wow...what a powerful passage and clear representation of earthly consequences to our sin.

Anonymous said...

I apreciate the note about David feeling a sence of security in knowing his repentance was true. It really rang with me as I've been searching for God's comfort in an extreemly stressfull time, it seemed like God's comfort was held off, I couldnt even find peace in prayer or praise... But then I realised that all the time I was confessing to God my melancholy and my control freak nature, I wasnt letting any of it go. I was still trying to push life and was still letting myself get overwhelmed when I couldnt. So I just stood and said.. "NO! NO MORE! I'm done!! I'm just done pushing and I'm done feeling crappy!!I'm letting th enemy win and I'm just DONE WITH IT! I cant do it and i'm calling God a liar by even trying and it's wrong!"and immediately I felt lighter I felt God's peace again, something that I've struggled to have in more than fleeting tastes in the last couple weeks. Then I could sigh and trully speak to my father and not just confess my sin( as if God doesnt know it's there!) but I could repent of it, turn my back on it and turn my face toward God! It's subtle but I think David shows us the difference there. confessing a sin starts the move, but it takes repentance to really turn us back where God means us to be. And once we're where God wants us that peace that trancends all understanding happens. The one that is bigger than loss, failure, bigger than we are.
I'm so thankful for the HOly Spirit's movement in my life. In my own strength I can do nothing, cant even change a single beat of my own heart, But HE who made it beat can 'pick me up turn me around and place my feet on solid ground' Praise God! And thanks all you who are doing Bible everyday too!