Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Ephesians 3: Our Significance

So, how does it feel to be part of the most important organization in the history of the world? Are you feeling good today?

You have plenty of reasons to. After all, you’re part of the church.

You’re not a member of the World Champion Phillies. You’re not on the faculty of Harvard. You’re not the principle violinist of the New York Philharmonic. You’re not an oil sheik with OPEC.

You’re significance is far greater. Your stage is far larger. Your stock is far more valuable. You’re part of the church.

Ephesians 3 tells us that the mystery of God’s eternal plan has been revealed in the church. That is, that Jews and Gentiles alike are the objects of God’s love, and have together become shareholders in all the promises of God. So God’s incredible salvation is now on display, and we are that display! The church is God’s showcase, his “wisdom exhibit,” showing the whole universe just how smart a savior he is.

That fact drives Paul to prayer. He just wants you to know who you are in Christ. He wants you to feel the power of God’s Spirit within you; to be rooted deeply in God’s love; to somehow grasp the ungraspable and be filled with the immeasurable. He wants you full of God, pulsating with confidence and radiating glory.

So meditate deeply on God’s love today. Then his showcase will shine. Then his display will dazzle.

Posted by Greg

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look forward to reading these every day. Thank you for doing this.

Anonymous said...

tonight I was grilled on my faith. One of those times someone who is predisposed to thinking Christianity is a small minded farce thinks that a rapid fire of questions will break faith... I just had to marvel that the truth just kept flowing to mind and the way to phrase it came with an ease not born of rhetoric and memory but of taking about a loved one. It is so awsome to see that the Holy Spirit is ever present in the details of life. It is really awsome to be so blessed as to be His display.

Anonymous said...

Confession: I struggle with DOING significant things vs just BEING significant b/c I'm part of the church. At the root of "having a significant impact" is pride. This lends itself to a human comparison. It's a value that I've wrongly morphed into my outlook for MY Christian influence/walk.
I love 1 Cor. 4:1-5 where it says the Lord judges, not even me. (how would I judge "significance" anyhow?--in my humanness, I am dependent on what is seen with my own limited eyes--a poor measure indeed.) What is it to God if I'm the lunch lady or a college prof? Love God, love others. What is it to God if I have my G.E.D. or PhD? Love God, love others.
God loves a peaceful, humble, faithful, and contented spirit. Measuring "impact" is not my job.
I often see God's incredible salvation on display in other 'beings' and marvel at His Grace, yet sometimes am reluctant to see myself through that same loving lens, as I focus on my 'doings'.
As I meditate on His love, I praise God for his grace and mercy with me. May his glory shine through my "BEING".